something i don't understand

Discussion in 'Random Posts' started by DaveHead, Feb 12, 2019.

Tags:
?

Did you play universe?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
    So I was always a universe player. I started playing summer of 2016. Met a lot of cool people there.
    I ended up taking a hiatus from minecraft in general because it just got a little boring again and I came back every once in awhile in 2017.
    I noticed they removed universe. Universe was the only unique gamemode on the server at the time and it was removed because the player count was mostly at 0 a lot of the time. The reason people stopped playing was because the developer left to go work somewhere else and then updates rarely happened in game and things ended up getting broken.
    I just don't really understand why the staff couldn't figure out how to update it. I'm not really a professional with the code shit and whatever all that is.
    I don't understand why it was taken down. Someone had posted a thread talking about deleting universe (here https://forum.omegarealm.com/threads/delete-universe.83095/#post-424187)
    8 out of 8 people said that it should not be deleted. A staff member even mentioned that it doesn't cost anything to run (http://prntscr.com/mjw3fc)
    So if it doesn't cost anything to run, why delete such a unique gamemode? I started playing skyblock recently and every few days, I see a new person come on and say something along the lines of "Where did universe go?".
    Every once in awhile, I mention universe and me and a few people start talking about it and we think it'd be cool to have it back.
    If it doesn't cost anything, I don't see the point to shutting it down.

(P.S. even if us universe players don't get uni back, we should at least be able to download the map file and be able to play it in single player just to be able to relive everything)
    Thanks to those who read the entire thing instead of reading the first few sentences and then leaving negative responses saying universe sucked.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MinecraftLoverIQ

Ratings:
    +78
    Like I said, Lack of players and no one played it. Like the Capture The Flag, It was removed for the same reasons.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Kaneki

Ratings:
    +2
    I still miss universe till this day and I agree what David has to say about bringing it back

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Svantie

Ratings:
    +61
    I know universe was a nice game type and i also played there from time to time. Nevertheless it's kinda like Skyblock. Its only you on your little island.
    The thing that kept me from coming back there is the huge amount of TPA trapping and TPA killing that was allowed there....

I think bringing back universe won't draw players back to it tbh.

5. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
    It wasn't allowed. There was rarely ever any staff on and nobody really reported the people doing it i guess. Even if it doesn't bring in many people, there is still people who would play and I think it would be cool to have for the people who played universe all the time like I did and it would bring back good memories.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CriticalClient

Ratings:
    +151
    Universe was the first server I played here, back in 2014, when it was booming.
    Although I would want it back, I unfortunately can't find any logical evidence to do so. Saying that one misses the unique gamemode is a purely emotional reason that shouldn't warrant its return. So there's a plan to get players to return to it, I don't see much point in doing so.
    And although I "miss" universe, even if it was added, I wouldn't play it. It would, of course be ignorant to assume others would, but the last time it existed it was really inactive, and as such I wouldn't find fun in playing there. Again, that may not apply to everyone, but I can guarantee that universe isn't going to be as popular as the other servers if it is returned.
    It would be great, however, if someone can actually give management a good reason or plan to bring it back and have it "revived".

7. investigators

Moderator Staff of the Month Events Team

Ratings:
    +2,645
    Again, as I mentioned in another thread about universe. It was removed due to the fact it was getting literally 0 players on it. As much as players want universe to come back, the only possible way for it to do so is if the server popular increases again, and, if it is something that a majority of the people want. Management won't add universe back just for players to go on it once or twice and for it to still remain inactive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Haizhe

Ratings:
    +687
    I’d like to add on to that. Omega Realm at that time had been struggling with costs of the server, and relied on donations from the players to keep it running. It was pointless paying for a server that no one went on, when that money could go on to making big revamps etc (like we just recently did). I believe that removing universe was a good thing for the server in terms of our money issues, and let us do bigger things with Omega Realm as of recent.

9. Refractyte

Admin

Ratings:
    +990
    At least from mid 2017 (if not earlier) I am aware that we purchased our own dedicated machines so we could run our own servers instead of trying to troubleshoot issues with a server host that has other clients. Yes; it financially costs nothing to run the server as it's just a case of starting a shell script, but it is costing resources by keeping that server running when we could dedicate more RAM to other "hungry" servers like Factions and Skyblock.

In terms of updating universe; it was actually needing a physical code update and we didn't have a developer on hand to do it. This is why it went so long without an update and this is one of the catalysts why we started losing universe players in the first place.

If it was to be added back; would players only be there for a day or 2 then leave again like what happened with CTF? Or would people be genuinely interested?

10. PeanutBuddar

Ratings:
    +410
    whenever omega starts getting 150, 200 or even 300 players again, it would be super neat if we could see universe make a comeback. Not the old universe, but a brand new and updated version of universe. I understand that if universe was brought back at this time that it wouldn't get nearly any players, 5-10 if any. But universe could be in the back of managements minds, so that maybe when we get the player count, it could be added again

11. rven

Ratings:
    +1,231
    this is basically an impossibility, nothing unique has been introduced to this server in years

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
    wow this got a lot more attention than i expected. that's a victory in my book
    #UniverseVeteran

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. frozenfire06

Ratings:
    +23
    I think staff kinda gave up on Universe, I remember after the new year (2018 ) Mikgreg himself said they were gonna start working on it more, but that never really happened. Glitches and bugs wouldn't be fixed for days, weeks, or sometimes months. Once staff gave up I think a lot of players did too, to avoid joining a dying server. I truly believe if universe were to come back a lot of players would join. I talk about universe a lot and most players (who didn't even know what universe was) say they like the idea of it and would play if it came back. Whenever I bring it up people agree with me in that universe is an amazing concept, I especially loved that you could be as creative as you want, and everyone's island was different to fit their own vibe. It was a really great server that did not get enough attention.

The little that staff did to revive this server was inefficient. For example, there was a "top island" contest supposedly monthly, but I believe it did not last as the winners were rarely updated. At the end of universes lifespan, there were a lot of bugs that were ignored. One of them being the problem with vote crates, which didn't work for a very long time. I think the fact that universe was ignored contributed greatly to the lack of players.

What I'm trying to say, is that I think it is unfair to blame the ending of universe on the lack of players, because the real reason for that was the lack of staff and attention.

#universeveteran

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. frozenfire06

Ratings:
    +23
    But how could Omega Realm gain players when nothing new is being introduced? Servers are being removed, not added, losing the interest of players into the servers removed. If players are only losing and not gaining interest in this server then no new players will join

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rven

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Well look at that, someone who actually understands the deadly cycle the server is stuck in!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
    holy shit that's actually a good point. you smart

• Like Like x 1
  17. MinecraftLoverIQ

Ratings:
    +78
    Simple, Advertisment, If more players come around then it still wont come back, mainly for other server's ram

18. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
  19. DaveHead

Ratings:
    +48
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. rven

Ratings:
    +1,231
    #20 rven, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    If only it were so "simple" to bring people to a server with no competitive edge in an already dying game. I feel like every post I've read of yours makes absolutely no sense

• Agree Agree x 3